Welcome to the Borough Clerk’s Office
The title "Clerk" developed from the Latin clericus , meaning a scholar, especially a person who could read and write, and thus serve as a notary, secretary, accountant, and recorder. Clerks work behind the scenes to ensure the smooth operation of local government. Clerks are selected for their attention to detail, as well as their ability to be forward thinklng and to anticipate problems.
The State of New Jersey mandates professional certification to secure and maintain the professional position and requires continuing education in several disciplines each year to maintain the required Registered Municipal Clerk license.
Because the Borough Clerk interfaces with many state, county and local agencies, it is likely that the Clerk's office will have the answer to your question, or can point you in the right direction.
- Assists local non-profit organizations in completing and submitting Social Affair Permit Applications to the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control;
- Prepares Agendas and Minutes for Mayor and Council meetings, Board of Health, Environmental Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, and Shade Tree Commission;
- Archives A dopted Ordinances and annually codifies updates to the Code Book of the Borough of Chatham ;
- Issues Voter Registration Applications , (Spanish Voter Registration) certifies candidate petitions for municipal offices, certifies local election results and much more. Visit our Elections Information page for Frequently Asked Questions concerning elections and voting;
- Receives and maintains Volunteer Applications for boards, commissions and advisory committees on behalf of the Mayor and Council;
- Provides free Notary Public services to Borough residents during regular business hours. No appointment is necessary.
What you are unable to find at the Borough Clerk’s Office can probably be found at the Morris County Clerk’s Office located in Morristown. The Morris County Clerk provides the following services:
- recording of public land records
- online document searches
- recording of business trade names
- passport applications
- issuance of county ID cards
- Morris County Manual
UPDATED VOTER INFORMATION
GOVERNOR MURPHY EO 120 - Postponement of Primary Election
Voter Registration Application - English
Voter Registration Application - Spanish