Welcome to the Borough Clerk’s Office
The Borough Clerk is a senior official responsible for officiating a variety of duties and responsibilities that are dictated by law. The position is also responsible for assuring transparency in local government's conduct of business. The Borough Clerk prepares agendas and minutes for Mayor & Council meetings, administers local elections and certifies election results. The Clerk also records and pubishes meeting minutes, ordinances, and resolutions; retains custody of the official seal; issues licenses and permits; and records contracts, agreements, bids, deeds, titles and maps.
The title "Clerk" developed from the Latin clericus , meaning a scholar, especially a person who could read and write, and thus serve as a notary, secretary, accountant, and recorder. Clerks work behind the scenes to ensure the smooth operation of local government. Clerks are selected for their attention to detail, as well as their ability to be forward thinklng and to anticipate problems.
The State of New Jersey mandates professional certification to secure and maintain the professional position and requires continuing education in several disciplines each year to maintain the required Registered Municipal Clerk license.
Because the Borough Clerk interfaces with many state, county and local agencies, it is likely that the Clerk's office will have the answer to your question, or can point you in the right direction.
UPDATED VOTER INFORMATION
GOVERNOR MURPHY EO 120 Postponement of Primary Election
As per New Jersey Senate Bill No. S1982, ballot position draw for the 2020 Primary Election will be conducted in Borough Hall, 54 Fairmount Avenue, Room 202, (Borough Clerk's office) Chatham, NJ 07928, on Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.
- Assists local non-profit organizations in completing and submitting Social Affair Permit Applications to the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control;
- Prepares Agendas and Minutes for Mayor and Council meetings, Board of Health, Environmental Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, and Shade Tree Commission;
- Archives adopted Ordinances and annually codifies updates to the Code Book of the Borough of Chatham ;
- Issues Voter Registration Applications , certifies candidate petitions for municipal offices, certifies local election results and much more. Visit our Elections Information page for Frequently Asked Questions concerning elections and voting;
- Receives and maintains Volunteer Applications for boards, commissions and advisory committees on behalf of the Mayor and Council;
- Provides free Notary Public services to Borough residents during regular business hours. No appointment is necessary.
What you are unable to find at the Borough Clerk’s Office can probably be found at the Morris County Clerk’s Office located in Morristown. The Morris County Clerk provides the following services:
- recording of public land records
- online document searches
- recording of business trade names
- passport applications
- issuance of county ID cards
- Morris County Manual