Senior Center of the Chathams is a nonprofit agency which encourages the independence and well-being of seniors and their families in the greater Chatham area by connecting them with each other and the community at large.
Atlantic Private Care (Atlantic Health) is offering free transportation to seniors over the age of 60. Those who qualify for the grant transportation can receive 2 round trip transports with a certified Home Health Aide to accompany them to medical appointments. They will arrive at the home - assist the patient into the ambulate of car service - accompany them to their medical appointment and then return them to the home and into their home safely. They would apprreciate a 5-7 day lead time in which to get everything in order.
Read more. Call: 973-540-9000 to register and request a ride.
Watch Donna Sue Dowton Exercise Videos
1. Sit to stand and other leg strengthening exercises Try these exercises to strengthen your legs. The ability to get out of a chair is a good predictor of your ability to get up off the floor. If you struggle with this exercise try putting a pillow on the chair to raise a little higher. As you get stronger you can take the pillow out so that you have a greater range of motion.
2. Improving your posture with a wall stand T his is an easy way to reset your posture using a wall. This is perfect for Seniors or anyone who has poor posture. Most people who spend large portions of the day looking at the computer or at their phone have a tendency to let their head fall forward. This is a great way to become aware of where your posture needs work.
3. Seated abdominal exercises Try the seated abdominal exercises. These are perfect for people who can’t get on the ground or want to do a quick ab exercise while at work.
4. Upper Body Stretches Shoulder and chest opener stretches can help with posture and breathing. Great for seniors.
5. Simple Balance exercise Simple balance exercise with Donna Sue is perfect for seniors.
Click here to see more videos by Donna Sue Dowton.